Around 80% of households receive nuisance phone calls and bogus door to door callers every year, with the British public losing an estimated £1.5 million to scams in 2012.
Make sure you protect yourself:
- Ask the visitor to come back later, if they are legitimate they won’t mind
- Ask for ID, look for a branded van and check their uniform
- Never give out money or personal information
- Do not mention that you will be on holiday or away from your home
- If you are unsure about the visitor do not invite them into your home
- If you are in any doubt of a caller you can contact Trading Standards on 01224 523737 or the Police on 101. In the event of an emergency you should call 999
What to expect from Sovereign:
- Our callers will always have ID available to show you
- You can contact us to check a caller or visit
- Our staff will usually make an appointment before they call
- If you do not believe it is Sovereign on the phone, you can hang up and call us back
- Take down details of the caller; ask for their name and where they are from
If you have any doubts about a visitor or a caller from Sovereign then please contact us.